Here is an interesting question: Do you like to watch movies/tv shows that make you cry or movies/tv shows that make you laugh??
The first show I remember that ever made me cry was Little House on the Prairie. The episode where the little girl was ashamed of her dad and how fat he was. And then he falls through the roof he is repairing, assumedly because of his weight. I always hated the way that episode made me feel and I would avoid it like the plague once I recognized which episode it was. Until the day I just made myself sit down and watch it. And. I. cried. Yes, I don't remember how old I was. Younger than 8 for sure. I don't recall ever watching that episode again, but at least I knew why I didn't like it. It broke my heart!! I recall feeling very grown up as I cried as well. Ha ha ha!!!
Are you like Debra on Everybody Loves Raymond, who when given time away from her family, turns on a sad movie just so she can cry??? I prefer the end of that episode when Ray turns on "Lady Marmalade" and gets down with his bad self and makes us all laugh at his goofiness.
Yes, I do not choose sad movies. When I'm feeling bummed or just like life is kicking me more than usual, I turn on a funny movie and laugh my cares away. If I want to let out some sad emotions, I am more likely to turn on some music and let myself cry that way. My expectations of movies are to entertained and made to feel happier. Interesting hmmm?
Now to my point. I just watched Big Hero 6. Kids movie?? I think not. Not unless your 6-7-8-9 year old likes to cry and can handle big ticket topics such as
1. Loss of ones parents
2. Loss of a sibling who dies in a futile attempt to rescue someone who turns out to be evil.
3. Loss of a loved thing that embodies said lost sibling.
Seriously people, how is this a children's movie?? Are children becoming so de-sensitized that these topics are no big deal? Don't get me wrong. There were definite moments in the movie that were feel good, but sadly they were surrounded by bigger things like
1. revenge on someone who helped your sibling die AND
2. Anger and wanting to kill someone.
When did these become childish topics or anything any child should even think about or worry about? Yeah, well, as for me and my house, probably never going to own this movie and who knows when I'll let my kids see it. Seriously.
No comments:
Post a Comment