Today, just because I was feeling lazy, I volunteered for the 4th time in this same house, to have a Kirby vacuum salesman come and shampoo some part of my carpet. Here are my reasons why I will never do this again and why you shouldn't either:
1. They're going to try to get their foot in the door. From the opening of your front door to the closing, the person pitching the idea of "just having someone come and do a quick shampoo of your carpets, even that little section from the front door to the kitchen" is going to tell you whatever you want to hear, knowing that you won't be seeing them again and they can promise whatever because they won't have to fulfill them.
2. It's never as easy as someone showing up to shampoo your carpets. They will torture you by a) putting little paper discs into their vacuum to show you JUST HOW HORRIBLE your current vacuum is, that it's depositing dirt into your carpet, etc etc and b)showing you ALL the attachments and how they work. There are about 9 now. Maybe.
3. They will brow beat you and guilt you into feeling like OF COURSE you should buy their vacuum, are you stupid that you can't SEE how great it is?? Lots of leading questions, lots of comparisons to your current useless vacuum. There are usually SEVERAL phone calls made to their "supervisor" who enters them into a "contest" and who has to hear about how much like you the vacuum and what attachment impresses you the most. He will also make at least 2 offers of how to sell the vacuum to you today at a special price. Right. (Why is it the supervisor is always a man? That seems kind of sexist.)
4. When you finally get through all of this and tell the person who has spent a considerable amount of time vacuuming your carpet to prepare it for shampooing that they are not getting the sale from you, you sort of feel like you somehow lied to them. No matter how much you clearly stated you only wanted your carpet cleaned, you still come off feeling like a complete rake. How dare you allow a salesman in so they can give you their pitch only to turn them down and they so nicely cleaned this section of your floor! For free?!?! Sheesh!! At this point, you just want to push them out the door and go rent yourself a rug doctor, but it's too late, you're in this for the long haul. The verbal silence is killing you as they silently finish shampooing, cleaning up their equipment, cleaning up the many many paper discs of dirt that they pulled from your dirty carpet, and put all the vacuum pieces back in the box that was supposed to be staying at YOUR house while you hand your financial freedom away to them for upwards of $3500. You feel like you should apologize, but all you can do is thank them for cleaning your floor. And then they are gone.
5. After 2+ hours (I've had them take up to nearly 4), you've just wasted a whole bunch of your valuable time feeling guilty, feeling cheap, and feeling like a prisoner in your own home, tied to this person who has to show you so many things about this piece of equipment when you were only promised that they would shampoo your carpet. It's at this point I feel betrayed. And stupid. But hey, I have clean carpet. :)
2 comments:
Side note, my parents have a Kirby, I think - they got it off Craigslist before leaving the country in '09. I'm pretty confident they still have it. I hate hate hate sales pitches! Not a sales pitch, but esp last week, turning down some random guy trying to raise money for his specific veterans foundation WHILE IN the WWII memorial on the mall. He looked so irritated at me "WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU NOT DONATE MONEY TO THESE VETERANS!" And while yes, I'm confident it's a worthy cause, 1. I don't know if he is really part of this foundation he "created on his own" and 2. It's my money and 3. It's not really, I live off of student loans and assistance, mostly and 4. I donate to lots of other causes, and I just can't choose them all. Sorry.
Phew. Glad to get that off my chest. ;)
Sales pitches. Aaaaaah!!!! So much pressure, so much guilt, so little time to distribute it all far far away from all the normal pressure and guilt I carry around as a mom. Yeah, we don't need any of that added to our psyche.
Post a Comment