Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Well?


Recently, I phoned a place of business to inquire after services they willingly provide.


I spoke with a gentleman who requested calling me later with more information. I gladly hung up, anticipating my return phone call.


A few hours later, my phone rang. I answered with my customary, "hello?", only to be

surprised by the voice I knew was said gentleman, asking me if he could talk to my mommy.


I thought for a moment how I should answer, and chose to answer honestly, "No."


My mom is in Texas, so he clearly couldn't talk to her.


After my reply, he spoke quickly, saying "Miss Bishop?" to which I laughingly answered, "yes".


How did I choose to salvage this funny mistake by this poor deluded gentleman?


After him apologizing profusely, I said, "well, that means I sound young, right? And that's a not


bad thing." Or is it?

5 comments:

Alanya/Ally said...

Ha, ha! I did that to Tammy the other day. She really does sound very young on the phone! It could be worse... when we lived in Colorado I was known as, "The mom who looks like she's 15." No joke!

Jenn said...

hahaha-aaah! That's too funny! I've never had that happen to me, although I have had people mistake me for my Mom and now the same thing happens with Tobie. Funny...:D

just a random genius said...

Very funny! I've never been mistaken for a little girl either. Usually they thought I was mom.

Becky said...

oh that's funny! I've had to call to confirm appointments at work before, and I've sometimes made the mistake of thinking a pre-teen boy who answered was his mom. That's gotta kill his spirit.

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

Even worse when you're a teenager, calling a teenage girlfriend, her older brother answers the phone and you mistake him for her. Yeah, that's gotta do something to your sense of manhood.