Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Growing Up


For about the last 3 weeks or so, I have taken to singing to Aftyn when I lay her down to sleep at night. I sing her a primary song or songs I heard when I was little. This generally helps if she's upset to be going to bed, or just brings a smile to her little face. Either way it has very pleasing effects.

Also within the last month or so, I acquainted her with the fact that we have a picture of Jesus on our wall in our frontroom. We have talked about and looked at pictures of Jesus many times, but now it seems she has a ready tongue to say his name and a memory that keeps it fresh in her little mind.

Many times in the last few weeks, I have found her looking at this picture and moments later she will announce to me who it is. "Jesus". She gets a little excited when we recognize that she is saying his name.

What do these 2 things share in common?

Today while having some friends of Aftyn over, I decided to entertain them all with a few primary songs played on my guitar. One of the songs happened to be, "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam." In the middle of singing this song for these little girls, Aftyn says "Jesus!" She had recognized his name in the song. And then tonight while putting her to bed, I decided to try it again and see if she would notice and sang the same song for her. Even with a mouth full of binky, I recognized the word "Jesus" as it came out of her little mouth in the middle of my song.

I can't help thinking she still remembers him, can you?





2 comments:

grandma w. said...

Great job, Alysa. Such a wise mom. I've often heard stories of little ones who, when they talked early, could tell of things about him. Wouldn't be surprised. Thank you for teaching Aftyn such important things. I love you. Mom

Dalana and Mark said...

Boy, Aftyn sure does look grown up in those pictures! What a big girl she is getting to be. I love it when they can say "Jesus" and recognize pictures of him. So special!